Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sliding Scale

So, I've been working with a student teacher for a couple weeks now and I have to say...we just don't jive. I did when it was under my original teacher, but this student teacher her style is just well...structured. Maybe its because she comes from a SPED background, but its no wonder she always says she is so stressed out because she micromanages. Teaching Tip # 5: You can't micromanage your classroom because you will go crazy.

She started implementing a timer into all her transitions in order to become a well organized machine. Excuse me...but this is education, while you can try and oil the machine as much as you can, it doesn't mean it will work. Especially with a group of sixth graders, who are actually really great kids, but they aren't responding the way she wants them to and its upsetting her.

Maybe I shouldn't criticize her teaching because she means well, but sweet zombie Jesus, she is going to drive herself crazy, along with her kids. You can't control the masses through some kind of timed dog run, you have to do other things to build their trust. Maybe this is an inherent flaw with student teaching that when you enter the classroom you are an outsider. You have to build everything mid-stream. Well stream isn't the best word...flood would probably be correct. If I get either one of these jobs from the interviews this week, she may be left without the safety net that is good ol' dependable Brandon. Not to toot my own horn, but she probably needs a net. It's hard to walk across a canyon on a tight rope without a net. Jesus how many analogies can I fit into this damn thing.

Anyway, I've been trying to lock down my own classroom management skills. It's been awhile since I've commanded a classroom (excluding those times I taught at the collegial level, but meh...), but its been awhile. I think my approach is structured dictatorship with a side of humanity. Can those exist in a world...sure. Its important to set your standards high, but not too high, but also on a sliding scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment